Wednesday 17 October 2012

Jones runs with opportunity provided by Ravens


Jacoby Jones has enjoyed many happy since signing with the Baltimore Ravens, a trend expected to continue this weekend when he returns to Houston to face the Texans.
Jones was named the special teams player of the AFC on Wednesday, a week after he tied an NFL record by taking a kickoff 108 yards for a touchdown Sunday at Baltimore 31-29 victory over the Dallas Cowboys.
However, he intends to try his return trip to Houston as any other game, even though the Texans cut him off in May - five months after he lost the ball twice in a 20-13 playoff loss to Baltimore.
"It's another team we face,'' Jones said Wednesday, very matter-of-factly." I think I had five good years there. I got a chance to play in the NFL, and I thank you for that. I moved to another computer. Breath of fresh air.''
After his release, Jones takes about two seconds to think about the Ravens' bid to join them.
"I wanted to be here, so it was not anything that was hard to get done,'' said coach John Harbaugh." I think it was a phone call.''
And a little of that.
"As soon as I saw Maryland pop up on my phone, I was thinking about a Super Bowl ring,'' Jones said." I was ready to roll.''
The Jones, a 28-year-old has been an integral part of the Ravens game back. It has taken back eight punts for 72 yards and returned three kickoffs for 159 yards, including a spectacular 108-yard drive that tied the mark set by New England's Ellis Hobbs against the New York Jets in 2007 and equaled in 2011 by Randall Cobb Green Bay at New Orleans.
After reaching the end zone, Jones channeled his inner Deion Sanders celebrating a template similar to the former NFL star.
"I am closer to Dancing With The Stars, player,'' he said.
Asked if he's prepared a celebration for his score next, Jones responded: "I said I would be humble and not dance, but I have something in my sock.'' I'm going to get something.
It is not known how Jones next go into the end zone. In addition to returning punts and kickoffs, has 11 receptions for 185 yards and a touchdown.
"Jacoby has been great,'' Harbaugh said." It's been a great teammate, has been a hard worker. It is more fun to be around. The guy is a professional in every sense of the word. Obviously, he has been a great addition for us.''
The Texans was best separated from Jones, but that does not mean it has not been forgotten.
"Boy, are playing well,'' said Houston coach Gary Kubiak." We know what he's capable of Jacoby. He did it for us here. He always made some big plays, and he is doing not only on special teams, but catching a lot of balls, too.''
In Houston, Jones scored 11 touchdowns and had 127 receptions for 1,741 yards. However, two fumbles in a playoff game led to his departure, and Jones, no looking back.
"It's a business,'' he said." They did what they had to do, and now I have to do what I have to do.''
Ravens fullback Vonta Leach and Bernard Pollard also played for the Texans, making this a very interesting return.
"It will not be uncommon.'re Going to be fired,'' said Houston safety Glover Quin." We can not let those guys come to our house and get a win. Probably going to be fired. Hey, we are, too.''
Houston left tackle Duane Brown said: "Jacoby is there now, and has been playing well. Good for him. Just do not want you to do well this week.''
There is no way to determine if the crowd in Houston Jones will cheer for what he did for a period of five years, or mock him for his performance in that game a pitiful.
"I do not care,'' he said." I'm Crow Nation. They love me and I love them. That's all that matters right now.''

No comments:

Post a Comment